When packing for a weekend trip or stocking up on supplies for the home, you almost never forget the first aid kit. Between the kids running around the house and climbing on things, there is bound to be a minor injury or two. With all the first aid focused on humans, have you ever thought about your pet? While many human supplies can be used on pets, it might be helpful to keep a kit on hand for your companion, as well.
April is Pet First Aid Awareness Month and right before the start of summer. Creating a pet first aid kit is simple and might just keep your pet safe and happy while on the road or at home.
To start, consider purchasing a pre-made kit and including your own supplies to customize it for your pet. A small dog first aid kit is a great starting point, as it usually includes everything from scissors, tweezers, gloves, cleaning wipes and more.
Other supplies to consider including are:
- Pet Blanket – This can be used to gently restrain your pet to help treat injuries.
- Water Jug
- Small Dawn Dish Soap – This is great for removing grease and other harmful chemicals from your pet’s fur.
- Eyedropper or Syringe – This is good for flushing wounds or administering vet-recommended medications.
- Hydrogen Peroxide – Just like in humans, peroxide can clean out wounds in pets.
- Popsicle Sticks and T Shirt/Towel scraps – These can be used to create splints for broken paws or tails.
- Hand Sanitizer
- Portable Water Bowl
- Pet Contact and First Aid Card
It is easy to forget the dangers pets can face day-to-day, but being prepared for any scenario will ensure a better outcome for both the owner and animal. Keeping essential first aid items on hand is a step in the right direction.
Taking care of an injured pet can be stressful for both owner and animal alike. Having treats nearby is helpful in the event that your pet needs first aid treatment. Vita Bone® Artisan Inspired® are a great option for calming your injured dog as the flavor and aroma can distract him while you tend to his wounds.
Creating a DIY Pet First Aid Kit doesn’t need to take a lot of time or money. All of the supplies can be found at your local Walmart, including the Vita Bone Artisan Inspired Biscuits. Knowing you have all the essentials close at hand in case of an injury is very reassuring and will ensure you’re ready to help your pet when they need you most.